This isn't an easy post for me to write and it's probably not going to be an easy one to read. The pictures I'm sharing are from blogs written from others who have visited these orphanages.
Scott and I have been asked by several people "why international adoption?" Did you know that children born with special needs in Eastern Europe rarely leave the hospital with their families? Keeping a baby with a disability is looked down upon. There is no place for people with special needs in their society.
I think about my beautiful son, Reece and how much joy he has given our family. It makes me sad to think about these parents in Eastern Europe and what they're missing out on. It makes me even more sad that these children who did nothing wrong are sent away to an orphanage and then a mental institution for the rest of their lives. I wonder what these children are thinking. The people who need us most and this is our response? So let me share with you what I've learned from families who have seen this with their own eyes.
It's true that some orphanages are better than others. In some places, children are well cared for. They certainly don't get the attention they would benefit from being in a family but at least their needs are somewhat met....at least until they age out and are sent off to the mental institution.
So the bad orphanages......
Many children are left in their beds all day long with no stimulation. Some are left in their own waste lucky to be changed once a day. An adoptive mom who visited one of these orphanages said that the baby room she saw was so quiet that it was hard to believe babies were in the room. They no longer cried as they have learned that nobody would come to comfort them. This rips my heart out.
When the child turns 4 years old or close to it they are sent off to a mental institution to live the remainder of their lives. 40 to 80% die within the first year. They are forgotten. Their society has let them down.
I know some of you don't want to read about this. It makes you feel bad and perhaps maybe guilty. My intent is to make you aware that this goes on TODAY. Adoption isn't for everyone I get that. But please do something ....pray, donate, bring awareness....BE THEIR VOICE. We can't let this go on. Please ask me and I'll let you know how you can help or visit www.reecesrainbow.org. They are a non-profit organization dedicated to finding homes for orphans with special needs.
I have two children I absolutely adore. I love them equally....disability or not. My greatest hope is that all societies will feel the same someday. I know Scott and I will spend the rest of our lives trying....
Much love,
Judy
Scott and I have been asked by several people "why international adoption?" Did you know that children born with special needs in Eastern Europe rarely leave the hospital with their families? Keeping a baby with a disability is looked down upon. There is no place for people with special needs in their society.
I think about my beautiful son, Reece and how much joy he has given our family. It makes me sad to think about these parents in Eastern Europe and what they're missing out on. It makes me even more sad that these children who did nothing wrong are sent away to an orphanage and then a mental institution for the rest of their lives. I wonder what these children are thinking. The people who need us most and this is our response? So let me share with you what I've learned from families who have seen this with their own eyes.
It's true that some orphanages are better than others. In some places, children are well cared for. They certainly don't get the attention they would benefit from being in a family but at least their needs are somewhat met....at least until they age out and are sent off to the mental institution.
So the bad orphanages......
Many children are left in their beds all day long with no stimulation. Some are left in their own waste lucky to be changed once a day. An adoptive mom who visited one of these orphanages said that the baby room she saw was so quiet that it was hard to believe babies were in the room. They no longer cried as they have learned that nobody would come to comfort them. This rips my heart out.
Many of these orphanages are poor and lack sufficient staffing so they think it's ok to tie a baby down to keep him put
Lying in a bed without love, decent care, starving, basically.....left to die.
When the child turns 4 years old or close to it they are sent off to a mental institution to live the remainder of their lives. 40 to 80% die within the first year. They are forgotten. Their society has let them down.
This is Ksenia who was sent to a mental institution. Nobody know why she has sores on her face but she obviously isn't safe.
I know some of you don't want to read about this. It makes you feel bad and perhaps maybe guilty. My intent is to make you aware that this goes on TODAY. Adoption isn't for everyone I get that. But please do something ....pray, donate, bring awareness....BE THEIR VOICE. We can't let this go on. Please ask me and I'll let you know how you can help or visit www.reecesrainbow.org. They are a non-profit organization dedicated to finding homes for orphans with special needs.
I have two children I absolutely adore. I love them equally....disability or not. My greatest hope is that all societies will feel the same someday. I know Scott and I will spend the rest of our lives trying....
Much love,
Judy





That is so so hard to see.The cruelty is heartwrenching.I could not magine not ever wanting our Jayden.....makes you want to help all of them...
ReplyDelete