Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Adoption Update

It's been a while since I blogged so I thought I'd give everyone an update on where we are in the process. 

Homestudy -   We're still in this process but pretty close to being done!  We have a couple of doctor appointments next week and we should be able to finish our education requirement this week.  We've been assigned a social worker who's coming to our house for the first visit on December 6th :)

Compile Dossier - Once the homestudy is complete, we can put our dossier together.  The dossier is the pile of papers that gets sent to the foreign government with our official application to adopt one of their children.  Sounds pretty simple but I sure get overwhelmed reviewing the dossier checklist!  Thank goodness for the wonderful support we get from Shelley at About A Child! 
Once the dossier gets sent to the foreign government, approximately 2-3 months later we should get the referral and travel to the country for our first visit.  I would love for our whole family to go on this trip but we're discussing this.  We all applied for passports and Amanda already has a passport, although she'll be in school so I know the first trip is out for her. 

Fundraising - I've fundraised in the past during the holidays and it's pretty difficult to do during this time.  We're still up in the air on this though so we'll see.  In the meantime, if you're able to make a tax-deductible donation to Ryan's grant we'd certainly appreciate it!

I've been so consumed with our own adoption that I haven't spent as much time on the Reece's Rainbow website.  Andrea Roberts, founder of Reece's Rainbow had a post earlier today about the significant change in some of the children's profile pictures from when they're in the orphanages and the regression after they've been transferred to the institution.  It's heartbreaking to see such beautiful happy babies become forlorn.   

I wish for so many things.....
I wish I could adopt more than one child.
I wish I had the money to give all of them homes!
I wish I could somehow make a difference and these children would have better lives.
The only thing I can think of is to spread awareness and hopefully someone will listen and help make a difference.

If you ever have any questions about our adoption, please feel free to post a comment and I'll get back to you. 

Love,

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment